Uncover the secrets behind managing the world’s largest mutual fund, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, in this captivating episode of WEALTHTRACK. Join Gerry O’Reilly, the fund’s principal portfolio manager, as he reveals the active management required for this trillion-dollar behemoth. Learn about O’Reilly’s inspiring journey from Ireland to the 1988 Seoul Olympics before delving into his impressive track record. Gain insights into the misconceptions surrounding index fund management and discover the strategies employed to match the CRSP U.S. Total Market Index. Don’t miss this exclusive episode for a behind-the-scenes look at the fund shaping the investment landscape.
WEALTHTRACK Episode #2004 broadcast on July 21, 2023
Listen to the audio-only version here:
Explore This Episode
We have compiled additional information and content related to this episode.
GERARD “GERRY” O’REILLY
- Portfolio Manager, Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
- Principal, Vanguard’s Equity Index Group
CHOOSE THE CULTURE OF THE FIRMS YOU ARE INVESTING WITH CAREFULLY
- Superb reputation for putting investors first
- John “Jack” Bogle set it up as a unique, investor-owned structure
- Owned by its funds, which are owned by shareholders
- Keeps costs low
- Represents shareholders’ interests above all other parties
O’REILLY: PERSONAL PORTFOLIO PREFERENCE
- Core holdings: low-cost, diversified index funds
- It also holds low-cost, actively managed funds.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
John “Jack” Bogle from the WEALTHTRACK Archives:
Running the world’s largest mutual fund requires non-stop oversight and trading every workday for Portfolio Manager Gerry O’Reilly and his team at Vanguard’s Total Stock Market Index Fund. He shares his daily routine to recharge his batteries.