Part 1 of 2
From lowering your stock exposure to increasing your withdrawal rate, Morningstar’s personal finance guru, Christine Benz, describes thepositive impact higher yields are having on retirement planning.WEALTHTRACK Episode #2032 broadcast on Feburary 02, 2024
Listen to the audio-only version here:
SAFE RETIREMENT WITHDRAWAL STRATEGIES
Christine Benz shares Morningstar’s latest assessment of safe withdrawal rates for retirement portfolios and different strategies to extend retirement income.
Get it here. (Free with email)
Explore This Episode
We have compiled additional information and content related to this episode.
- Director of Personal Finance and Retirement Planning, Morningstar
CONSIDER ADDING A FIXED IMMEDIATE ANNUITY TO YOUR RETIREMENT PLAN
- Pays a set amount of income per month for life
- Offers highest payments in years, often more than treasury bond yields
- Unlike bonds, they don’t mature, fluctuate in price, or have to be managed
- The insurance company assumes the risk that you will get more income than put in
- Must pay a lump sum to the insurance company
- Onerous penalties to liquidate
- Might die before income exceeds investment
- TO MINIMIZE INVESTMENT LOSS RISK:
- It is best to buy when healthy & just starting retirement to have time to collect
- Can add cash refund rider stipulating unspent capital be passed on to beneficiaries if the annuitant dies before a specific date
- Essential component: Invest with an established & highly-rated insurance company
BENZ: DEFINED MATURITY INCOME STREAM
BUY: – iShares iBonds Term TIPS ETFs
- Holds portfolio of TIPS- US Treasury Inflation Protected bonds
- Bonds mature in a specific year.
- Available in different maturities
- Can buy in increments, building a bond ladder in easily tradable ETFs
FROM THE ARCHIVE
Christine Benz from the WEALTHTRACK Archives:
HOW TO RETIRE PROJECT
Why has Morningstar’s longtime Director of Personal Finance and Retirement Planning decided to write a book on how to retire? She shares her motivation.